Places to eat around Coonoor/Wellington/Ooty, India
Tall still mountains, picturesque landscape, spread tea gardens, a peaceful surrounding, and much more, there is no word that can define the beauty of the Nilgiris completely. Every year Wellington sees an influx of 500+ people ready to explore this hill station.
At every place we go, there are certain places that we look for as soon as we land, for the food and beverages and since, we’ve spent the last two years exploring every bit and corner of the areas in and around Wellington, here’s a little guide to help you all.
- 180° McIver (La Belle Vie), Upper Coonoor This property is absolutely beautiful, also the place where Kapoor & Sons was shot and. Pet friendly(only in the garden area), colonial vibes, View of Coonoor, to name a few. Continental food is great and don’t even think of trying Indian dishes here. The only downside to this place is their service, calling it slow would be an understatement – but if you have a lot of time on your hands and love a mesmerising view, then this place should be your number one choice.
Ps : Do try their soups.
- HopScotch Resto Pub, Upper Coonoor The only ‘Pub'(but also not a pub’) in Coonoor. One of a kind place in this hill station to chill, weekends have comedy shows/live bands. Great decor, a pool table, both indoor and outdoor sitting, the only downside being – it’s a little on the expensive end. Place closes exactly at 11 pm and the music will stop at around 10:30. Ps : Do advance booking as the place tends to get filled soon and becomes hard to find a table inside.
- Open Kitchen, Upper Coonoor With a cozy ambience, Open Kitchen offers a comforting experience with it’s personable staff and eccentric pop culture inspired decor. The pizzas they have are ‘whole wheat based’ with some unique toppings combinations, and their ice creams are delicious. Only downside being that the choices are very limited. Ps : Try their ‘Hung Curd Vegetarian Pizza’ and ‘Oreo’s n Cookie’ ice-cream.
- Jharokha Restuarant, Upper Coonoor Want ghar ka khana but don’t want to cook at home, or want to order in, then this is your GO-TO place. Probably the best Indian/chinese place to eat in Coonoor. The pricing is moderate, the staff is super courteous. Make advance bookings as this place is super busy on the weekends. Ps : The most decent chicken momo’s in Coonoor.
- The Culinarium, Ketty A fine dining Restaurant and Patisserie, serving a mix of modern european and country classics. A great Upscale cafe/Restaurant next to the Pony factory in Ketty. Beautiful aesthetics, yummy desserts, beer available, yum food. The place is super pricey and the service is a little slow. Recommend you to visit this place for brunch/lunch. Ps : They are famous for their Pot Pies and do try their Lemon Ice tea.
- Kings Cliff (Earls Secrets), Ooty Beautiful place, great ambience, colonial vibes, unfortunately that is all they have going for them. The food is average, service supremely slow. Only visit this place if you have no other option.
- Cafe Diem, Coonoor It’s an adventure trying to find this place but once you do, its worth it. This beautiful little cafe offers a nice escape from the noisier parts of Coonoor. They serve delightful Mediterranean French and Italian cuisine and are a pure vegetarian cafe. The food is average but do visit this place for the ambience, location and the good vibes. Ps : Do try their cold pressed juices.
- The Tandoor Hut, Kotagiri The best Non-Veg Rolls you can find in this hill station. Great marination, meat served in fresh and juicy. Easy on the pocket. Only drawback – there is no place to sit and dine. There is though a parking lot next to the counter. Reaching this place is a little tricky, but the location is pretty on point in google maps. Ps : Their kebab rolls are to die for.
- Darjeeling Fast Food, Ooty The best street food joint for Momo’s and chowmein. Reasonably priced, clean place, yummy food. It’s a little difficult to find so most people are not aware of this place – it’s near cheering cross in one of the bylanes opposite a wholesale footwear shop. Don’t miss out on this place.
- Cafe Coffee day, Upper Coonoor This needs no introduction. Have a cup of coffee while traffic/people watching.
- Khana Khazana, Upper Coonoor The only place where you’ll get the north-indian chaat feels. Very easy on the pocket and tastes good.
- If you want to order cakes – There’s no better option than MUDPIE.
- One stop destination for grocery shopping – Nilgiris supermarket in upper coonoor caters to all your needs. Google Maps have you covered. (They home deliver to Wellington as well.)
- Orchid Square Coonoor – Hit or miss. Some people love it, some don’t. I personally don’t like the food there but a lot of people I know have praised the sizzlers a lot.
That’s it from our end on the places you shouldn’t miss out on. Have a good time exploring. Recommendations from your end are welcome to add onto this list.
Also, let us know what do you think of this blogpost in the comments below! Ta-da !